INDEPENDENCE TILL PRESENT DAY:

The school had already started sending candidates for the Matric examinations from 1919. Fr. Limbourg added three floors to the school building in 1920 for the benefit of the boys in and around Calcutta. In 1937, an ex-student of the school John D’Souza, was ordained priest and appointed Prefect of discipline. Fr. George Boswell, the rector of the chapel, continued Fr. Limbourg’s effort and completed the annex on the north side of the school, which was started by Fr. H. William. The boarding section was merged with St. Lawrence High School, Ballygunge. But Fr. Boswell kept a few rooms for students showing signs of vocation to the priesthood. In 1940 Fr. Joachim D’Souza was appointed Principal of the school but due to ill health he died in 1942. Fr. John D’Souza was promoted and made Principal of the school and Rector of the chapel on April 20, 1942. The difficult days of the Second World War saw students being forced to stay away from attending classes due to bomb scare and the school was left with only 10 boys on its roll.

But at the historical moment of India’s independence from British rule, the school was alive and running. Msgr. John D’Souza completed the southern annex of the school and Fr. A. Samuel, who succeeded him, added a 5th floor to the school building in 1960. The same year the school was upgraded to Higher Secondary with Humanities and Science streams. The school quietly progressed during the days of Emergency and the Naxal turbulence in Calcutta. Headmasters like Fr. Bonaventure D’Souza, Fr. William Gomes, Fr. Fredrick D’Souza, Fr. Leander D’Costa, Fr. Alan D’Lastic, Fr. Stephen Fernandes, Fr. I. V. Alvares, Fr. Moses Rozario, Fr. Arthur Lobo and Fr. William Baretto served the school with great efficiency.

An important milestone in the annals of this school was the 125th year celebration in 1989-90. Mother Teresa was the Chief Guest on the occasion. Fr. Reginald Fernandes, the then Headmaster, also started St. Joseph Nursery and Kindergarten as a sister concern of St. Anthony’s High School. Since then under the guidance of Headmasters like Fr. Peter Arulraj, Fr. Robert D’Souza, Fr. Sebastian Rodrigues, Fr. Felix Sanctis, Fr. P. Mark, Fr. Peter Anthony, Fr. Gnana Pepin and Fr. Devraj Fernandes the school has progressed in leaps and bounds in all spheres of activities.

The students of the school have been participating in social concerns like Better Calcutta, Literacy Drive, Anti-Drug Addiction Drive and others. There has been Scout training for the students as well as Leadership training. A School Orchestra, under the direction of Mr. Damien Fernandes, made a name for itself in and out of the school. Eminent educationists regularly come to the school to conduct orientation courses. The school has been regularly organizing inter-school events such as Oratio: Inter-School Elocution Contest, Let’s Get Quizzical: Inter-School Quiz Competition, The Groove: Inter-School Dance Competition and Shooting Hoops: Inter-School Basketball Tournament. The school organises its annual fete The Anthonian Fun Fiesta and observes the Science Day with a Science Exhibition.

The school has four houses Red, Blue, Green and Yellow represented by mythical creatures The Griffin, The Phoenix, The Unicorn and The Dragon respectively. The school also has various clubs like Literary Club, Science Club, Music Club, Sports Club, etc. The School Choir has also performed admirably. Of late the school has organized two memorable school concerts – Ignite in 2010 and The Garden in 2012.

Many ex-students of the school have achieved name and fame in various walks of life as doctors, engineers, professors, teachers, government officers, managers, businessmen and religious figures. Archbishop Emeritus Henry D’Souza of Calcutta and Late Bishop Eric Benjamin of Darjeeling were former altar boys of St. Joseph’s Chapel. Apart from Fr. John D’Souza, who was ordained priest on October 27, 1934, the other ex-students of St. Anthony’s High School to be ordained priests and serve the school in various capacities are Fr. A. Samuel (as Principal) and Fr. Moloy D’Costa (as Inspector of Schools).

St. Anthony's High School begins its Sesquicentennial
- keep visiting for updates and events.